Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Awesome burgers of Vancouver

Despite the fact that this city is full of health nuts it actually has a pretty serious number of burger joints. I’m not talking Mc Donalds burgers, but real, “dude making the home made patties in the back”, type burger places.

One of the first places I checked out on my search for awesome Van city burgers was the Tomahawk restaurant. The place is well known by most Vancouver natives. I checked out the menu online and realized pretty quick I had to try the Skookum Chief Burger.

The place itself is a bit of a blast from the past. It reminded me a lot of the Russell Williams diner in Aldershot but with a native American motif. I was filled with all sorts of native American stuff and even had a counter table – something I get really excited about for no reason in particular. Not to mention an awesome place mat, a fundamental piece of any diner experience.

The burger itself was a beast. Cheese, Yukon bacon (whatever that means), egg and even cut up wieners on top. It was awesome. The best I’ve ever had? Probably not, but for such a kitchy diner, the food followed a similar theme, really gimmicky and ultimately rewarding.

The quest for the best burger continues…..

Tomahawk diner facts:
- Brian Adams used to bus here.

- Narduar apparently had heart problems related to eating the skookum burger too frequently here. his picture is even up in the place, as well as a number of other 2nd rate celebrities.

3 comments:

BM said...

they should have called it "Wagon Burger".....yup, going to hell for that

You been to Dangerous Dans yet(in TO), behold, the coronary burger

http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_patersons_weblog/images/2008/01/16/coronaryburger.jpg

Simon B said...

I gotta try that next time im in Toronto. I'm like a burger hunter now.

jcorn said...

you been to seeqpod.com ?? its not an mp3 blog but you can listen to amything.