Thursday, July 30, 2009

a quick one

Little update.

Lately, the weather here has been insane. Up to about 4 days ago it was perfect. But lately it’s been crazy hot. In the newspaper the other day it called it a “heat wave of a lifetime”. Seriously? Lets not go too nuts.

But yeah, the weather has been pretty sweet and unlike last year I feel like I’m getting a pretty awesome summer. I guess this is especially poignant if you’re reading this in Ontario where I’ve heard it’s been a pretty awful summer so far.

So last week I got offered a free ticket to go see Snoop Dogg at the pacific coliseum. It was through a client we have who has a private box there. It was, well, cool. To be honest I went to go see snoop because I felt like it was one of those things I feel like I should do. Basically it was like watching a cartoon. Exactly what you expected. One funny thing though, is that not only does he perform his hits, he performs other people hits. At one point he did “Jump around”. One funny thing about the concert is that it was filled with girls wearing tiny miniskirts and high heels. I guess every girl was hoping that despite sitting in the nosebleeds they thought they might be able to draw the interest of Snoop Dogg or something. Sometimes I pray I’ll never have a daughter. Another thing I saw a lot of was overbaked guys. Guys who stank like weed, were sweating like crazy with super bloodshot eyes and a deep red faceand were going to the bathroom all the time. It was actually pretty funny. Another weird thing, when you see Snoop perform you realize how dirty some of his songs are. Not to sound like a square, but it can feel sort of uncomfortable listening to snoop sing for three minutes graphically describing a blow job he got. Funny enough these were usually the songs the girls in the miniskirts were most into.

Fast forward to the weekend, specifically Saturday. My buddy John hooked me up with tickets to the Virgin festival. The weird thing is in Vancouver I think they had trouble selling tickets as I heard on the Saturday they only sold 3000 tickets. Yikers. I showed up in time to see broken social scene who put on an amazing show. I’d heard a lot of good things about them and they lived up to it. K-Os got on stage and rapped with them for a bit too but, I don’t know, give me rock, not rap rock, knowhatimsayin? I was sitting beside this dude with the best seat in the house. He was super generous too, making sure everyone around him had enough to eat.

One annoyance was seeing people practice yoga at the concert. Seriously Vancouver yoga nerds?! Can you not just get drunk like the rest of the world? Or would that ruin your cosmic energy or something. Read the rulebook on how to have fun.

Next up was Our Lady Peace. To be honest I was kinda surprised I hadn’t somehow seen them up to this point. It was weird, apparently they lost their last guitarist and decided to get howard stern to replace him. About 10 minutes into the set it started to rain hard. I took this as more proof that God hates Our Lady Peace so I heeded his warning and went home. As I started driving home the rain got worse and eventually became a full blown thunderstorm which is really rare for the city. The sky turned a really cool color and it was all sort of surreal.

A few hours later I went to the magazine release party for Color magazine, a skate mag out here that I’m actually doing a bit of writing for. They also have a lot of strange connections to a bunch of my friends, I think Cody is doing some work for them cause a bunch of people asked me about Cody and the Cocaine car while I was there. They also knew people I used to skate with in Hamilton. It’s a small world I guess. Anyways, the party was a really good time. Lots of drinking, old friends and new friends and some dancing.

So that’s a quick recap of last weekend, tomorrow I leave to go to Ontario for the weekend. Really really looking forward to it. Hopefully I’ll have some stuff to report soon. Until then, peace out. Oh and if you haven’t checked out sky force yet, they have a new episode up. Simply amazing.