Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday nightin’ it.

Okay this past week I didn’t have the excuse of being super busy to avoid updating this thing. In fact it was quite the opposite. Weather has been awesome and it’s the first time in a while where I’ve had the opportunity to leave work at 5 and just enjoy the evening.

For the weekends I’ve been spending a bunch of time trying to catch fish. Which is literally beyond annoying at this point. There were fish jumping everywhere but none of them wanted to bite my stupid hook. Next time I’m bringing dynamite.

In totally unrelated good news, me and Christy are meeting my mom in Seattle tomorrow and spending the weekend checking out the city. The one time I went there I spent the entire time either drunk, hungover or watching Canada lose to Brazil in a soccer match while drunk, so it’ll be nice to actually hang out and see what the city is all about.

I’ve also spent a bit of time skateboarding again. A friend who works at a skate magazine out here sent me a link to a few un-burly skateparks at my request. I’m stoked to roll around again. So far I’ve just been doing flat ground tricks so I think it’s time to take it to the next level and grind some stuff.


But perhaps the biggest news of the last few weeks is a little “gentlemens wager” I’ve set up with a few friends of mine. I happen to have two friends out here who compete in pretty serious beach volleyball tournaments, think kings of the beach or super spike V-ball for NES only less baseball hats with the brim flipped up and fewer dudes named sinjin. One of the dudes has won a shit load of cash in these tournaments so yeah, he’s a professional player by definition.

The other player also competes in these tournaments. In fact he spent basically the entire winter in Brazil training with some crazy beach volleyball coach down there. So yeah, not only is he a big time volley ball player, but he basically is pro-recession considering he took his Canadian dollars and spent them in Brazil. I mean I’m not one to throw around the words “freedom hater” but, I’m just saying…..

Anyways, with all that being said we’ve made a deal. Me (and my buddy Scott) Vs. Them. The challenge is I need to score one point in a game up to 25. But I need to cause the point. So I can’t just hope for them to serve it out of bounds. I need to get a point. Personally I’m hoping something awesome happens like I spike it down on them, but seriously it would only be fair considering they’ll probably spike it in my face 20000 times in a row. Did I mention they’re freedom haters? I think one of them was in Guatanamo under suspicion for a little bit.

So yeah. People’s champ vs. the 2 freedom haters. More details, and hopefully some coverage of this event to follow.

6 comments:

jcorn said...

Dude, me Brandos and Webby skated tons in TO last year. There's a wicked park up around Bathurst and Dundas. Thing was, we were the oldest dudes there by far. We were "Dads". So, we started the Skateboarding Association of Dads. Which coincidentally was shortened to SAD.

Anonymous said...

yeah man, i just got a new complete a few weeks back. i am still so terrible but its fun.

Simon B said...

hahaha. SAD.

there's all sorts of old concrete parks here from the 70's and stuff, like snake runs and all that stuff, should be pretty fun.

Ben Meers said...

you've been snoozing-- i got a new complete over four months ago. the kids at the park here are unbelievable.

jcorn said...

I've been skating all over in Peterborough but I'm too chicken to skate with the kids at the park. I'm thinking about showing up at 8am when al the teenagers are still sleeping.

SAD

BM said...

Flatground tricks? When you go all Rodney Mullen?