Tuesday, January 6, 2009

first test post back.

Well I haven’t been updating this thing lately because I was back home in Ontario for the holidays. I’m going to do a big update on my travels in Ontario soon but for the time being I thought I would give my take on my favorite albums of 2008. In doing this exercise I realized pretty quickly that very few people I actually think might read this thing would even have a remote interest in any of these albums, but hey, I needed an easy post to get back in the groove. I also realized that my favorite music can basically be broken down into three categories: Long meandering emotional-ish music, heavy metal and party rock. The metal one is the weirdest because most people I used to listen to metal and hardcore with now hate it. Guess I never grew out of it.

So without further ado here’s a list of albums no one will probably care about.

Trap Them – Seizures in barren praise.
If I owned a football team I’d blast the first song on this album before my team took the field. It’s like a super awesome metal arena anthem. Kind of like “We will rock you” times a billion. This is the band I wanted to be like when I was playing in all sorts of terrible hardcore bands during my youth.

Cursed – III
Bummer these dudes broke up. Once again, awesome fast metal stuff.

Eagles of Death Metal – Heart On
Dude from “Queens of The Stone Age” is in this band, but personally I think these guys are better. Wicked album but to be honest I like the other two more. Still just good party rock and roll.

Ladytron – Velocifero
I saw Danzig open for Metallica once. It was in the middle of the afternoon at Molson park. It was weird seeing Danzig play in the middle of the day, it didn’t make sense. Ladytron is the same, they sound better in the dark. But I guess they aren’t totally the same cause they’re a British electro band with 2 female singers. Same diff.

Fuck the Facts – Disgorge Mexico
Token one grind album I buy a year. Last year was Pig Destroyer, this year it was Fuck the Facts. Awesome super fast metal. On a more serious note, can grind bands start naming themselves more normal names so I don’t feel like such an ass every time I go to the sales counter with their CD’s in my hand?

M83 – Saturdays = Youth
This album is awesome. The last M83 album was a little too melodramatic for my liking, this on still has hints of that but not so over the top. I’m sure you could read a giant, ridiculous in depth review of this on pitchfork if you want to know more.

Torche – Meanderthal
This is like if Foo Fighters were a bit more metal. The song “Healer” is one of the best party metal songs ever.

Cult of Luna – Eternal Kingdom
My favorite album of the year. Long, slow metal. Kind of like Isis if I didn’t find Isis to be so boring or Mogwai if they played metal with a growling singer. It’s another weird theme album but hey, what do you expect from a “Post-Metal” band from Sweden?



Okay, real updates to resume this weekend.

2 comments:

BM said...

I cannot believe Kid Rock's "Rock and Roll Jesus" was not included on this list, for shame!

zyanna said...

fag

gb